|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 01:31 PM EST||
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A record breaking 4,050 participants from 56 countries and all 50 of the United States convened at the 4th annual mHealth Summit just outside of Washington, D.C. last week. Leaders from around the globe assembled at this year's summit for four days of networking, knowledge sharing, deal-making and demonstrating the latest mHealth technological offerings.
The summit delivered 300 exhibiting companies, themed pavilions and 90 high-level panel sessions all focused on advancing mobile health and discussing the challenges surrounding wireless integration into the greater healthcare system -- for the delivery of quality, affordable healthcare in the U.S. and around the world.
As the largest international conference and expo situated at the intersection of business, policy, technology and research, the summit is the global convener of the expanding mobile health ecosystem. Participants included those from research, government, advocacy, NGOs, providers, payers, technology innovators, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others.
Keynote speakers included Mark Bertolini, CEO and President of Aetna; Gary Shapiro, CEO/President of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA); Peter Tippett, Chief Medical Officer and Vice President Verizon Enterprise Solutions; Harry Totonis, CEO of Surescripts; Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health and UN Foundation board member Dr. Nafis Sadik. The summit also offered a series of executive spotlights from AT&T, Deloitte, Intel, Philips Healthcare, American Liver Foundation, McCann Health as well as the Director General of Ghana Health Services.
"This gathering of stakeholders from around the world, who represent each aspect of the mobile health ecosystem is unprecedented," said Richard Scarfo, Director of the mHealth Summit and Vice President of Events at HIMSS Media. "As we close the 2012 mHealth Summit, we are confident that the conversations around challenges such as scalability, interoperability, security, privacy, and data analytics will help drive momentum for finding solutions on how to deliver 21st century mobile healthcare globally."
"Quality health services and public health is a global imperative and its efficient, effective, and safe delivery through mobile technologies is going to take a united effort," said Patricia Mechael, Executive Director of the mHealth Alliance, a founding partner of the mHealth Summit. "The global health track and partnerships forged and networking facilitated at the summit were some of the important ways we are continuously learning, fostering innovation, sharing information and moving the field forward."
Key Themes Emerging At The 2012 mHealth Summit:
- Common global interests. The domestic and international communities are looking to mHealth to provide solutions for scalability to increase access and quality of healthcare delivery while reducing costs.
- Mobile connectivity is driving personalization and consumerization of health, enabling greater patient empowerment and bridging the gap for improved provider and patient communications, interventions and consumer engagement.
- Trending in the conference sessions, and on the exhibit floor were companies and discussions focused on:
- A global health spotlight on maternal, women's and child health;
- Policy barriers to overcome to advance the integration of mHealth for better health;
- Neutral approaches to privacy and security – and who owns your personal health data;
- The data shift: from collecting data to analytics
- What does the physician of tomorrow look like?;
- Opportunities and challenges around other areas, such as: HIPAA secure messaging systems, patient monitoring, point solutions for physicians and patients, and chronic care management particularly with the aging boomers; and
- Innovation in wellness and fitness apps, as well as mobile app design and development.
- Sharecare and the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance joined forces to advance connected health innovations.
- Diversinet introduced mobiHealth Wallet with new patient-centered health information.
- iHealth partnership with Evernote and Practice Fusion to bring doctors and patients better data for healthier living.
- Qualcomm Life announced new companies and customers that joined its ecosystem, including Ingram Micro, MD Revolution, HealthyCircles, Valued Relationships, ActiveCare and Tri-City Medical Center.
- Verizon Foundation, while more than 20 years old, it is relatively new to large-scale health care philanthropy. At the Summit, it announced plans to invest almost $13 million in a new program aimed to measurably improve accessibility to care and clinical quality for children, women and seniors. The goal: to reduce health care disparities and improve patient self-management of chronic disease. Initial partners, selected on the basis of geographic reach, capacity to manage the technology solution, and ability to deliver metrics related to patient care, patient engagement, and cost savings, are:
- The Children's Health Fund;
- The Society for Women's Health Research;
- The National Association of Community Health Centers; and
- University of California, San Diego.
Event Highlights Include:
- 30 sponsors: Verizon returned as the partnering sponsor and was joined by AT&T, Surescripts, Aetna, Allora, Cigna, Deloitte, HP, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Permanente, McCann Health, McKesson, Oracle, Pfizer, Philips Healthcare, Qualcomm Life, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, SAP, T-Mobile/Samsung, UnitedHealth Group and several other pavilion and product sponsors.
- 35 strategic affiliates: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Anson Group (mHealth Regulatory Coalition), Ashoka, B2 Group, Center for Connected Health, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), Continua Health Alliance, CTIA – The Wireless Association, GBCHealth, Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium (MDISS), Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Rock Health, StartUp Health, United Nations Foundation and The Wireless Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA).
- 300 exhibitors in open space and themed pavilions including the EngAGE pavilion, sponsored by AARP with support from Aging 2.0, where more than 20 companies focused on aging in place. Another first was the Games for Health Pavilion, where 14 companies demonstrated projects for enhancing physical activity, cognitive health, disease management, and sensorimotor recovery (e.g. traumatic brain injury). Other pavilions focused on: better health, start-ups and interoperability
- Global Conversation: More than 1,600 people participated in a global conversation on Twitter sending nearly 10,000 tweets during the three-day event. Additionally, TechChange and bnetTV carried much via social media and live streaming to audiences around the world.
"As a result of the 2012 mHealth Summit, we expect that after three days of intense conversations, networking and learning, there will be major momentum for collaborative developments in mHealth affecting individuals as well as regional and country-wide healthcare systems," concluded Scarfo.
To access video of all sessions at the 2012 mHealth Summit, please visit the website at www.mhealthsummit.org and to access mHIMSS live coverage and executive interviews, please visit http://www.mhimss.org/mhealth2012.
Follow the continuing conversation on Twitter: @mhealthsummit | @mHealthAlliance | @mHIMSS | @HIMSS | @HITNewsTweet l #mHS12
The 2013 mHealth Summit will take place once again at the Gaylord National on Dec. 9 – 11, 2013.
About the mHealth Summit: The mHealth Summit is presented by the HIMSS Media, in partnership with the National Institutes of Health, the mHealth Alliance and the Foundation for the NIH. It is the leading conference, expo and networking event advancing cross-sector collaboration in the best use of wireless technology to improve health outcomes. The 2012 mHealth Summit was held December 3-5 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. It connected leaders in government, private sector/industry, academia, foundations and not-for-profit organizations to advance discussion and decision-making related to the intersection of mobile technology, health research, and policy in the United States and globally. For more information, visit www.mhealthsummit.org.
For additional information on the 2012 mHealth Summit's organizing partners, please visit:
About HIMSS: www.himss.org
About the Foundation for the NIH: www.fnih.org
About the mHealth Alliance: www.mhealthalliance.org
About the National Institutes of Health: www.nih.gov
SOURCE mHealth Summit
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 459
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,787
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 246
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,807
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,329
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 892
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 24, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,827
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 24, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,587
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 24, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,358
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 24, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,693
Now that the world has connected “things,” we need to build these devices as truly intelligent in order to create instantaneous and precise results. This means you have to do as much of the processing at the point of entry as you can: at the edge. The killer use cases for IoT are becoming manifest through AI engines on edge devices. An autonomous car has this dual edge/cloud analytics model, producing precise, real-time results. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Crupi, Vice President and Eng...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,635
In the enterprise today, connected IoT devices are everywhere – both inside and outside corporate environments. The need to identify, manage, control and secure a quickly growing web of connections and outside devices is making the already challenging task of security even more important, and onerous. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Rich Boyer, CISO and Chief Architect for Security at NTT i3, will discuss new ways of thinking and the approaches needed to address the emerging challenges of securit...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,233
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,880
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,871
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,988
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,298
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,889
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,446
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,594
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,236