|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 01:31 PM EST||
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A record breaking 4,050 participants from 56 countries and all 50 of the United States convened at the 4th annual mHealth Summit just outside of Washington, D.C. last week. Leaders from around the globe assembled at this year's summit for four days of networking, knowledge sharing, deal-making and demonstrating the latest mHealth technological offerings.
The summit delivered 300 exhibiting companies, themed pavilions and 90 high-level panel sessions all focused on advancing mobile health and discussing the challenges surrounding wireless integration into the greater healthcare system -- for the delivery of quality, affordable healthcare in the U.S. and around the world.
As the largest international conference and expo situated at the intersection of business, policy, technology and research, the summit is the global convener of the expanding mobile health ecosystem. Participants included those from research, government, advocacy, NGOs, providers, payers, technology innovators, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others.
Keynote speakers included Mark Bertolini, CEO and President of Aetna; Gary Shapiro, CEO/President of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA); Peter Tippett, Chief Medical Officer and Vice President Verizon Enterprise Solutions; Harry Totonis, CEO of Surescripts; Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health and UN Foundation board member Dr. Nafis Sadik. The summit also offered a series of executive spotlights from AT&T, Deloitte, Intel, Philips Healthcare, American Liver Foundation, McCann Health as well as the Director General of Ghana Health Services.
"This gathering of stakeholders from around the world, who represent each aspect of the mobile health ecosystem is unprecedented," said Richard Scarfo, Director of the mHealth Summit and Vice President of Events at HIMSS Media. "As we close the 2012 mHealth Summit, we are confident that the conversations around challenges such as scalability, interoperability, security, privacy, and data analytics will help drive momentum for finding solutions on how to deliver 21st century mobile healthcare globally."
"Quality health services and public health is a global imperative and its efficient, effective, and safe delivery through mobile technologies is going to take a united effort," said Patricia Mechael, Executive Director of the mHealth Alliance, a founding partner of the mHealth Summit. "The global health track and partnerships forged and networking facilitated at the summit were some of the important ways we are continuously learning, fostering innovation, sharing information and moving the field forward."
Key Themes Emerging At The 2012 mHealth Summit:
- Common global interests. The domestic and international communities are looking to mHealth to provide solutions for scalability to increase access and quality of healthcare delivery while reducing costs.
- Mobile connectivity is driving personalization and consumerization of health, enabling greater patient empowerment and bridging the gap for improved provider and patient communications, interventions and consumer engagement.
- Trending in the conference sessions, and on the exhibit floor were companies and discussions focused on:
- A global health spotlight on maternal, women's and child health;
- Policy barriers to overcome to advance the integration of mHealth for better health;
- Neutral approaches to privacy and security – and who owns your personal health data;
- The data shift: from collecting data to analytics
- What does the physician of tomorrow look like?;
- Opportunities and challenges around other areas, such as: HIPAA secure messaging systems, patient monitoring, point solutions for physicians and patients, and chronic care management particularly with the aging boomers; and
- Innovation in wellness and fitness apps, as well as mobile app design and development.
- Sharecare and the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance joined forces to advance connected health innovations.
- Diversinet introduced mobiHealth Wallet with new patient-centered health information.
- iHealth partnership with Evernote and Practice Fusion to bring doctors and patients better data for healthier living.
- Qualcomm Life announced new companies and customers that joined its ecosystem, including Ingram Micro, MD Revolution, HealthyCircles, Valued Relationships, ActiveCare and Tri-City Medical Center.
- Verizon Foundation, while more than 20 years old, it is relatively new to large-scale health care philanthropy. At the Summit, it announced plans to invest almost $13 million in a new program aimed to measurably improve accessibility to care and clinical quality for children, women and seniors. The goal: to reduce health care disparities and improve patient self-management of chronic disease. Initial partners, selected on the basis of geographic reach, capacity to manage the technology solution, and ability to deliver metrics related to patient care, patient engagement, and cost savings, are:
- The Children's Health Fund;
- The Society for Women's Health Research;
- The National Association of Community Health Centers; and
- University of California, San Diego.
Event Highlights Include:
- 30 sponsors: Verizon returned as the partnering sponsor and was joined by AT&T, Surescripts, Aetna, Allora, Cigna, Deloitte, HP, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Permanente, McCann Health, McKesson, Oracle, Pfizer, Philips Healthcare, Qualcomm Life, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, SAP, T-Mobile/Samsung, UnitedHealth Group and several other pavilion and product sponsors.
- 35 strategic affiliates: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Anson Group (mHealth Regulatory Coalition), Ashoka, B2 Group, Center for Connected Health, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), Continua Health Alliance, CTIA – The Wireless Association, GBCHealth, Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium (MDISS), Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Rock Health, StartUp Health, United Nations Foundation and The Wireless Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA).
- 300 exhibitors in open space and themed pavilions including the EngAGE pavilion, sponsored by AARP with support from Aging 2.0, where more than 20 companies focused on aging in place. Another first was the Games for Health Pavilion, where 14 companies demonstrated projects for enhancing physical activity, cognitive health, disease management, and sensorimotor recovery (e.g. traumatic brain injury). Other pavilions focused on: better health, start-ups and interoperability
- Global Conversation: More than 1,600 people participated in a global conversation on Twitter sending nearly 10,000 tweets during the three-day event. Additionally, TechChange and bnetTV carried much via social media and live streaming to audiences around the world.
"As a result of the 2012 mHealth Summit, we expect that after three days of intense conversations, networking and learning, there will be major momentum for collaborative developments in mHealth affecting individuals as well as regional and country-wide healthcare systems," concluded Scarfo.
To access video of all sessions at the 2012 mHealth Summit, please visit the website at www.mhealthsummit.org and to access mHIMSS live coverage and executive interviews, please visit http://www.mhimss.org/mhealth2012.
Follow the continuing conversation on Twitter: @mhealthsummit | @mHealthAlliance | @mHIMSS | @HIMSS | @HITNewsTweet l #mHS12
The 2013 mHealth Summit will take place once again at the Gaylord National on Dec. 9 – 11, 2013.
About the mHealth Summit: The mHealth Summit is presented by the HIMSS Media, in partnership with the National Institutes of Health, the mHealth Alliance and the Foundation for the NIH. It is the leading conference, expo and networking event advancing cross-sector collaboration in the best use of wireless technology to improve health outcomes. The 2012 mHealth Summit was held December 3-5 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. It connected leaders in government, private sector/industry, academia, foundations and not-for-profit organizations to advance discussion and decision-making related to the intersection of mobile technology, health research, and policy in the United States and globally. For more information, visit www.mhealthsummit.org.
For additional information on the 2012 mHealth Summit's organizing partners, please visit:
About HIMSS: www.himss.org
About the Foundation for the NIH: www.fnih.org
About the mHealth Alliance: www.mhealthalliance.org
About the National Institutes of Health: www.nih.gov
SOURCE mHealth Summit
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 658
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited t...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 572
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 711
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,027
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 491
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,282
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jun. 30, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 369
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 704
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,366
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 624
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 656
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 751
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 485
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 503
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,130
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 710
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 595
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,001
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 584