|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 01:31 PM EST||
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A record breaking 4,050 participants from 56 countries and all 50 of the United States convened at the 4th annual mHealth Summit just outside of Washington, D.C. last week. Leaders from around the globe assembled at this year's summit for four days of networking, knowledge sharing, deal-making and demonstrating the latest mHealth technological offerings.
The summit delivered 300 exhibiting companies, themed pavilions and 90 high-level panel sessions all focused on advancing mobile health and discussing the challenges surrounding wireless integration into the greater healthcare system -- for the delivery of quality, affordable healthcare in the U.S. and around the world.
As the largest international conference and expo situated at the intersection of business, policy, technology and research, the summit is the global convener of the expanding mobile health ecosystem. Participants included those from research, government, advocacy, NGOs, providers, payers, technology innovators, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others.
Keynote speakers included Mark Bertolini, CEO and President of Aetna; Gary Shapiro, CEO/President of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA); Peter Tippett, Chief Medical Officer and Vice President Verizon Enterprise Solutions; Harry Totonis, CEO of Surescripts; Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health and UN Foundation board member Dr. Nafis Sadik. The summit also offered a series of executive spotlights from AT&T, Deloitte, Intel, Philips Healthcare, American Liver Foundation, McCann Health as well as the Director General of Ghana Health Services.
"This gathering of stakeholders from around the world, who represent each aspect of the mobile health ecosystem is unprecedented," said Richard Scarfo, Director of the mHealth Summit and Vice President of Events at HIMSS Media. "As we close the 2012 mHealth Summit, we are confident that the conversations around challenges such as scalability, interoperability, security, privacy, and data analytics will help drive momentum for finding solutions on how to deliver 21st century mobile healthcare globally."
"Quality health services and public health is a global imperative and its efficient, effective, and safe delivery through mobile technologies is going to take a united effort," said Patricia Mechael, Executive Director of the mHealth Alliance, a founding partner of the mHealth Summit. "The global health track and partnerships forged and networking facilitated at the summit were some of the important ways we are continuously learning, fostering innovation, sharing information and moving the field forward."
Key Themes Emerging At The 2012 mHealth Summit:
- Common global interests. The domestic and international communities are looking to mHealth to provide solutions for scalability to increase access and quality of healthcare delivery while reducing costs.
- Mobile connectivity is driving personalization and consumerization of health, enabling greater patient empowerment and bridging the gap for improved provider and patient communications, interventions and consumer engagement.
- Trending in the conference sessions, and on the exhibit floor were companies and discussions focused on:
- A global health spotlight on maternal, women's and child health;
- Policy barriers to overcome to advance the integration of mHealth for better health;
- Neutral approaches to privacy and security – and who owns your personal health data;
- The data shift: from collecting data to analytics
- What does the physician of tomorrow look like?;
- Opportunities and challenges around other areas, such as: HIPAA secure messaging systems, patient monitoring, point solutions for physicians and patients, and chronic care management particularly with the aging boomers; and
- Innovation in wellness and fitness apps, as well as mobile app design and development.
- Sharecare and the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance joined forces to advance connected health innovations.
- Diversinet introduced mobiHealth Wallet with new patient-centered health information.
- iHealth partnership with Evernote and Practice Fusion to bring doctors and patients better data for healthier living.
- Qualcomm Life announced new companies and customers that joined its ecosystem, including Ingram Micro, MD Revolution, HealthyCircles, Valued Relationships, ActiveCare and Tri-City Medical Center.
- Verizon Foundation, while more than 20 years old, it is relatively new to large-scale health care philanthropy. At the Summit, it announced plans to invest almost $13 million in a new program aimed to measurably improve accessibility to care and clinical quality for children, women and seniors. The goal: to reduce health care disparities and improve patient self-management of chronic disease. Initial partners, selected on the basis of geographic reach, capacity to manage the technology solution, and ability to deliver metrics related to patient care, patient engagement, and cost savings, are:
- The Children's Health Fund;
- The Society for Women's Health Research;
- The National Association of Community Health Centers; and
- University of California, San Diego.
Event Highlights Include:
- 30 sponsors: Verizon returned as the partnering sponsor and was joined by AT&T, Surescripts, Aetna, Allora, Cigna, Deloitte, HP, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Permanente, McCann Health, McKesson, Oracle, Pfizer, Philips Healthcare, Qualcomm Life, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, SAP, T-Mobile/Samsung, UnitedHealth Group and several other pavilion and product sponsors.
- 35 strategic affiliates: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Anson Group (mHealth Regulatory Coalition), Ashoka, B2 Group, Center for Connected Health, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), Continua Health Alliance, CTIA – The Wireless Association, GBCHealth, Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium (MDISS), Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Rock Health, StartUp Health, United Nations Foundation and The Wireless Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA).
- 300 exhibitors in open space and themed pavilions including the EngAGE pavilion, sponsored by AARP with support from Aging 2.0, where more than 20 companies focused on aging in place. Another first was the Games for Health Pavilion, where 14 companies demonstrated projects for enhancing physical activity, cognitive health, disease management, and sensorimotor recovery (e.g. traumatic brain injury). Other pavilions focused on: better health, start-ups and interoperability
- Global Conversation: More than 1,600 people participated in a global conversation on Twitter sending nearly 10,000 tweets during the three-day event. Additionally, TechChange and bnetTV carried much via social media and live streaming to audiences around the world.
"As a result of the 2012 mHealth Summit, we expect that after three days of intense conversations, networking and learning, there will be major momentum for collaborative developments in mHealth affecting individuals as well as regional and country-wide healthcare systems," concluded Scarfo.
To access video of all sessions at the 2012 mHealth Summit, please visit the website at www.mhealthsummit.org and to access mHIMSS live coverage and executive interviews, please visit http://www.mhimss.org/mhealth2012.
Follow the continuing conversation on Twitter: @mhealthsummit | @mHealthAlliance | @mHIMSS | @HIMSS | @HITNewsTweet l #mHS12
The 2013 mHealth Summit will take place once again at the Gaylord National on Dec. 9 – 11, 2013.
About the mHealth Summit: The mHealth Summit is presented by the HIMSS Media, in partnership with the National Institutes of Health, the mHealth Alliance and the Foundation for the NIH. It is the leading conference, expo and networking event advancing cross-sector collaboration in the best use of wireless technology to improve health outcomes. The 2012 mHealth Summit was held December 3-5 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. It connected leaders in government, private sector/industry, academia, foundations and not-for-profit organizations to advance discussion and decision-making related to the intersection of mobile technology, health research, and policy in the United States and globally. For more information, visit www.mhealthsummit.org.
For additional information on the 2012 mHealth Summit's organizing partners, please visit:
About HIMSS: www.himss.org
About the Foundation for the NIH: www.fnih.org
About the mHealth Alliance: www.mhealthalliance.org
About the National Institutes of Health: www.nih.gov
SOURCE mHealth Summit
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 876
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,861
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,556
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,633
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 834
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, will discuss the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docke...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,125
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,841
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 10,926
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,051
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 702
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,383
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 20, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,739
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 20, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,427
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 20, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 845
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 20, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 827
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 20, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 709
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-tim...
Oct. 20, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,846
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 20, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,204
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Oct. 20, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,393
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 20, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,602