|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 01:31 PM EST||
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A record breaking 4,050 participants from 56 countries and all 50 of the United States convened at the 4th annual mHealth Summit just outside of Washington, D.C. last week. Leaders from around the globe assembled at this year's summit for four days of networking, knowledge sharing, deal-making and demonstrating the latest mHealth technological offerings.
The summit delivered 300 exhibiting companies, themed pavilions and 90 high-level panel sessions all focused on advancing mobile health and discussing the challenges surrounding wireless integration into the greater healthcare system -- for the delivery of quality, affordable healthcare in the U.S. and around the world.
As the largest international conference and expo situated at the intersection of business, policy, technology and research, the summit is the global convener of the expanding mobile health ecosystem. Participants included those from research, government, advocacy, NGOs, providers, payers, technology innovators, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others.
Keynote speakers included Mark Bertolini, CEO and President of Aetna; Gary Shapiro, CEO/President of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA); Peter Tippett, Chief Medical Officer and Vice President Verizon Enterprise Solutions; Harry Totonis, CEO of Surescripts; Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health and UN Foundation board member Dr. Nafis Sadik. The summit also offered a series of executive spotlights from AT&T, Deloitte, Intel, Philips Healthcare, American Liver Foundation, McCann Health as well as the Director General of Ghana Health Services.
"This gathering of stakeholders from around the world, who represent each aspect of the mobile health ecosystem is unprecedented," said Richard Scarfo, Director of the mHealth Summit and Vice President of Events at HIMSS Media. "As we close the 2012 mHealth Summit, we are confident that the conversations around challenges such as scalability, interoperability, security, privacy, and data analytics will help drive momentum for finding solutions on how to deliver 21st century mobile healthcare globally."
"Quality health services and public health is a global imperative and its efficient, effective, and safe delivery through mobile technologies is going to take a united effort," said Patricia Mechael, Executive Director of the mHealth Alliance, a founding partner of the mHealth Summit. "The global health track and partnerships forged and networking facilitated at the summit were some of the important ways we are continuously learning, fostering innovation, sharing information and moving the field forward."
Key Themes Emerging At The 2012 mHealth Summit:
- Common global interests. The domestic and international communities are looking to mHealth to provide solutions for scalability to increase access and quality of healthcare delivery while reducing costs.
- Mobile connectivity is driving personalization and consumerization of health, enabling greater patient empowerment and bridging the gap for improved provider and patient communications, interventions and consumer engagement.
- Trending in the conference sessions, and on the exhibit floor were companies and discussions focused on:
- A global health spotlight on maternal, women's and child health;
- Policy barriers to overcome to advance the integration of mHealth for better health;
- Neutral approaches to privacy and security – and who owns your personal health data;
- The data shift: from collecting data to analytics
- What does the physician of tomorrow look like?;
- Opportunities and challenges around other areas, such as: HIPAA secure messaging systems, patient monitoring, point solutions for physicians and patients, and chronic care management particularly with the aging boomers; and
- Innovation in wellness and fitness apps, as well as mobile app design and development.
- Sharecare and the Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance joined forces to advance connected health innovations.
- Diversinet introduced mobiHealth Wallet with new patient-centered health information.
- iHealth partnership with Evernote and Practice Fusion to bring doctors and patients better data for healthier living.
- Qualcomm Life announced new companies and customers that joined its ecosystem, including Ingram Micro, MD Revolution, HealthyCircles, Valued Relationships, ActiveCare and Tri-City Medical Center.
- Verizon Foundation, while more than 20 years old, it is relatively new to large-scale health care philanthropy. At the Summit, it announced plans to invest almost $13 million in a new program aimed to measurably improve accessibility to care and clinical quality for children, women and seniors. The goal: to reduce health care disparities and improve patient self-management of chronic disease. Initial partners, selected on the basis of geographic reach, capacity to manage the technology solution, and ability to deliver metrics related to patient care, patient engagement, and cost savings, are:
- The Children's Health Fund;
- The Society for Women's Health Research;
- The National Association of Community Health Centers; and
- University of California, San Diego.
Event Highlights Include:
- 30 sponsors: Verizon returned as the partnering sponsor and was joined by AT&T, Surescripts, Aetna, Allora, Cigna, Deloitte, HP, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Permanente, McCann Health, McKesson, Oracle, Pfizer, Philips Healthcare, Qualcomm Life, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, SAP, T-Mobile/Samsung, UnitedHealth Group and several other pavilion and product sponsors.
- 35 strategic affiliates: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Anson Group (mHealth Regulatory Coalition), Ashoka, B2 Group, Center for Connected Health, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), Continua Health Alliance, CTIA – The Wireless Association, GBCHealth, Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium (MDISS), Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Rock Health, StartUp Health, United Nations Foundation and The Wireless Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA).
- 300 exhibitors in open space and themed pavilions including the EngAGE pavilion, sponsored by AARP with support from Aging 2.0, where more than 20 companies focused on aging in place. Another first was the Games for Health Pavilion, where 14 companies demonstrated projects for enhancing physical activity, cognitive health, disease management, and sensorimotor recovery (e.g. traumatic brain injury). Other pavilions focused on: better health, start-ups and interoperability
- Global Conversation: More than 1,600 people participated in a global conversation on Twitter sending nearly 10,000 tweets during the three-day event. Additionally, TechChange and bnetTV carried much via social media and live streaming to audiences around the world.
"As a result of the 2012 mHealth Summit, we expect that after three days of intense conversations, networking and learning, there will be major momentum for collaborative developments in mHealth affecting individuals as well as regional and country-wide healthcare systems," concluded Scarfo.
To access video of all sessions at the 2012 mHealth Summit, please visit the website at www.mhealthsummit.org and to access mHIMSS live coverage and executive interviews, please visit http://www.mhimss.org/mhealth2012.
Follow the continuing conversation on Twitter: @mhealthsummit | @mHealthAlliance | @mHIMSS | @HIMSS | @HITNewsTweet l #mHS12
The 2013 mHealth Summit will take place once again at the Gaylord National on Dec. 9 – 11, 2013.
About the mHealth Summit: The mHealth Summit is presented by the HIMSS Media, in partnership with the National Institutes of Health, the mHealth Alliance and the Foundation for the NIH. It is the leading conference, expo and networking event advancing cross-sector collaboration in the best use of wireless technology to improve health outcomes. The 2012 mHealth Summit was held December 3-5 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. It connected leaders in government, private sector/industry, academia, foundations and not-for-profit organizations to advance discussion and decision-making related to the intersection of mobile technology, health research, and policy in the United States and globally. For more information, visit www.mhealthsummit.org.
For additional information on the 2012 mHealth Summit's organizing partners, please visit:
About HIMSS: www.himss.org
About the Foundation for the NIH: www.fnih.org
About the mHealth Alliance: www.mhealthalliance.org
About the National Institutes of Health: www.nih.gov
SOURCE mHealth Summit
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Jan. 19, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 7,684
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jan. 19, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 6,814
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 19, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 4,232
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jan. 19, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 6,320
Providing secure, mobile access to sensitive data sets is a critical element in realizing the full potential of cloud computing. However, large data caches remain inaccessible to edge devices for reasons of security, size, format or limited viewing capabilities. Medical imaging, computer aided design and seismic interpretation are just a few examples of industries facing this challenge. Rather than fighting for incremental gains by pulling these datasets to edge devices, we need to embrace the i...
Jan. 19, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 3,635
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 19, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,110
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,759
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Jan. 19, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 5,437
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,800
@ThingsExpo has been named the ‘Top WebRTC Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @ThingsExpo ranked as the number one ‘WebRTC Influencer' followed by @DevOpsSummit at 55th.
Jan. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,791
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,685
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,171
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 19, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 4,315
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 19, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 2,027
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Jan. 19, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,726
"What is the next step in the evolution of IoT systems? The answer is data, information, which is a radical shift from assets, from things to input for decision making," stated Michael Minkevich, VP of Technology Services at Luxoft, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 19, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,576
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions with...
Jan. 19, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,591
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 19, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 6,046
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 19, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 3,667
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 19, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,036