|By Udayan Banerjee||
|January 24, 2013 04:00 PM EST||
Yes … if you have a co-located cross-functional team … and … there is no pressure or compulsion to shift part of the work offshore.
Yes … if you do not feel any necessity or face any difficulty in scaling the team.
In all other cases offshore-agile may not be such a bad idea.
If you must offshore … for whatever reason
Is Offshore-Agile still a bad idea?
Let us see what can other reasons be for the idea to be a bad idea:
- If there is published evidence that offshore-agile does not work … I have not seen any
- If gurus agree that your process can no longer be classified as agile when the team is distributed … I have not come across any such opinion
- If traditional non-agile processes have proved superior to agile process when used in offshoring … I have not come across any such claim
- If offshoring partners, for whatever reason, are incapable or unable to adopt agile processes … I am yet to see such an organization
Could Offshore-Agile Be a Good Idea?
Systems which has built-in feedback loop is more adaptable.
Organizations which responds faster to change is the one which has greater chance of survival.
Technology is eliminating the barrier of physical distance.
Collaboration and empowerment is the new management mantra.
If you do not object any of these statements then you have already agreed that offshore-agile is a good idea!
If you are not involved in offshore-agile, is it still worth spending time to understand it?
Offshoring is expanding … Agile is expanding. How long before they start overlapping in a big way? How long can you stay out of it?
Even if you have no connection to offshore-agile now, can you say with certainty that your next engagement will not involve one?
Points to Ponder
- Is offshoring to India different from offshoring to other countries? After all India has 58% of the market share (see Nasscom stats)
Oct. 31, 2014 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,105
Oct. 31, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,171
Oct. 31, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,242
Oct. 31, 2014 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,599
Oct. 31, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,958
Oct. 31, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,824
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,339
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,704
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,381
Oct. 31, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,994
Oct. 31, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,669
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,215
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,448
Oct. 30, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,609
Oct. 30, 2014 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,089
Oct. 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,774
Oct. 30, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,201
Oct. 30, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,635
Oct. 30, 2014 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,308
Oct. 29, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,085